The Irish Volunteers (Óglaigh na hÉireann) were founded on the 25th November 1913 at a public meeting held in the Rotunda Rink in Dublin. Its primary aim was "to secure and maintain the rights and liberties common to the whole people of Ireland". Founders included The O'Rahilly - a member of the governing body of the Gaelic League, Eoin MacNéill - Professor of Early and Mediaeval Irish History at University College Dublin, and Partick Pearse - another prominent member of the Gaelic League. The 100th Anniversary Medal was struck by Óglaigh Náisiúnta na hÉireann (Organisation of National Ex-Servicemen and Women) in 2014. It features the national Harp symbol on the front, with the letters 'IV' (Irish Volunteers) and a circular shamrock border. The reverse features a fuschia flower and the words 'Oglaigh na hÉireann'. Packaged in a lined presentation box with a certificate embossed with the stamp of Óglaigh Náisiúnta na hÉireann. Dimensions: L 10.5cm W 3.5cm. Medal diameter 3.5cm.